Sunday, January 22, 2017

Nintendo Switch: The Good, The Bad, The Great

It's been 10 days since we've learned a lot about Nintendo's newest home console, newest handheld, and first ever tabletop console, basically Nintendo's first Hybrid console, since this beautiful piece of technology is a 3-in-1 console. I'm gonna give you all my thoughts about this new piece of hardware.

The Good

Nintendo gave us a new console that gives us an option on how we play, well, three options, TV Mode(Home console mode), Tabletop Mode, and Handheld Mode. Seeing that the Joy-Cons will have more functionality than we thought, from attached as one controller, using them as Wii Remotes, and using each one like Supped Up versions of the SNES Gamepad. Switch has been confirmed to have a touchscreen, which we'll benefit from for navigating through the eShop, going through the UI, and other functions. It will use MicroSD Cards to expand its memory. It has certainly learned a lot from the Wii U's mistakes, but that doesn't mean certain games that started on Wii U(or other consoles) won't be ported on the Switch. Games like Skylanders Imaginators, Mario Kart 8, and Skyrim are all being ported to Switch, even though the Wii U had no port of Skyrim. The Switch Pro Controller seems to be like a big, chunky gaming controller, something I never got to experience, and, I'll admit, getting the Wii U Pro Controller, was a mistake, but getting one of these bad boys won't be.

The Bad

As awesome as everything sounds, Nintendo, unfortunately, overpriced a few things. Leaving the dock alone at $90, a pair of Joy-Cons at $80, the Switch Pro Controller at $70, and a single Joy-Con at $50. Now some things have been fairly priced, such as the 2 Pack of Switch Wheels for $15, a Charging Grip for $30, and the Switch Straps at $8. If you do the math, that means the Switch tablet console(without the dock, Joy-Cons, and probably the regular grip(which would probably be $15)) would lead to $115, since the whole bundle is $300. Nintendo didn't clarify on their website the maximum size of a MicroSD Card the Switch would take, but it says it'll take up to 2 TB ones, which don't exist, yet. Nintendo didn't say if the eShop will be available at launch, or say if there will be an internet browser, or say if Nintendo Network IDs will be used, but I hope My Nintendo is used. Unfortunately, the system won't come with a My Nintendo point card, like the NES Classic Edition did. The worst thing is that the Switch won't have a game packed in with it. They didn't even tell us how much to expect the paid online membership to cost. They system will only have 32 GB of internal memory, good thing for MicroSD Cards.

The Great

Nintendo has confirmed the five new games shown off in the First Look at Nintendo Switch trailer, which had The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and NBA 2K17. They have now been confirmed as The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and NBA 2K18. Of all of these, I'm mostly excited for Super Mario Odyssey, the first true Core 3D Mario installment since Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. I'm also excited for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with all its new features, new Battle Mode, new characters, and new Karts. Splatoon 2, a sequel I'm mostly looking forward to this year. I felt bad for getting Splatoon for Wii U seven months after its release, since I missed out on a bunch, this will help me make up for that. I'm also very excited that they're porting Sonic Mania onto the Nintendo Switch, as well as Skylanders Imaginators, Lego City Undercover, Project Sonic 2017, and many more. I have a good feeling this is going to bring back the glory days of Nintendo.

Overall

I'm so getting the Nintendo Switch on launch day. I'm mostly excited for Tabletop Mode and Handheld mode. I'm not sure if I'll be getting the Pro Controller yet, but if I do, I'm hoping to have fun with it, for I've heard it's a lot better than the GameCube controller.

No comments:

Post a Comment